City of Parramatta Council is calling on the NSW Government to support a suite of ready-to-go projects that will help stimulate Sydney’s economic recovery from the COVID-19 crisis and create more jobs.
Council has asked the NSW Government to prioritise both public and private investment in the Central River City, including through its new $3 billion Infrastructure and Job Acceleration Fund.
“Parramatta is fast emerging as the economic powerhouse at the centre of global Sydney,” City of Parramatta Lord Mayor Bob Dwyer said.
“With a rapidly growing number of residents, workers and visitors, Parramatta is going through an unprecedented period of growth and is in a unique position to lead Sydney’s economic recovery.
“We have a long list of construction and infrastructure projects already underway, from Parramatta Light Rail to Parramatta Square, and many more in the pipeline that will benefit not just Parramatta but Sydney as a whole.”
Council has asked the NSW Government to consider several key priorities, including:
- The delivery of more than $6 billion worth of city-shaping projects, plus the $20 billion Sydney Metro West, which combined will create almost 21,400 jobs in the short term and upwards of 6,000 jobs in the long term.
- The acceleration of State Government-funded projects, including Parramatta Light Rail Stage 1 and planning for Sydney Metro West and Powerhouse Museum, as well as a commitment to projects such as Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2.
- Support with financial assistance and approvals, the acceleration of Council’s works programs – worth more than $500 million, including the new Parramatta Aquatic and Leisure Centre and Riverside Theatres.
- Working with the private sector to identify and remove barriers to help accelerate the $1.7 billion worth of approved private developments in the Local Government Area.
- Support the immediate start of City of Parramatta’s shovel-ready projects, including 42 projects worth $64 million that can be delivered in the next 12 months and employ 180 locals, through additional funding and fast-tracked approvals.
Please click here for the list of shovel-ready projects identified by City of Parramatta Council.